HIGHER EDUCATION SPECIALIST OF
HIGHER EDUCATION REFORM PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION UNIT
The Higher Education Reform Project (Loan 2766-MON) executed by Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (MECS), and financed by Asian Development Bank (ADB) aims to deliver outputs on improving (i) quality and relevance of higher education programs; (ii) effectiveness of higher education management, financing, and governance; and (iii) equity and access to higher education. The project impact will be an increase in the number of globally competitive higher education graduates that are adequately skilled to the needs of the labor market. The eventual project outcome will be an improved, well-managed, and equitable higher education system.
The MECS is now accepting applications for a vacancy for Higher Education Specialist. The Higher Education Specialist will be stationed full-time in the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in Ulaanbaatar and report to the Project Coordinator. The Specialist will ensure the proper preparation and implementation of planning and Higher education reform activities, and the monitoring and evaluation activities in the areas of training, program development for accreditation, public private partnership, research activities, establishment and management of the higher education development fund, development of e-learning centers, piloting activities of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), and higher education reform initiatives in the selected public and private HEIs, among others.
- Scope of Work
The main duties and responsibilities of the Higher Education Specialist will include the following tasks, but the Specialist is expected to perform any other tasks in the areas of responsibilities as deemed necessary. S/he will perform the assigned tasks under the direct supervision and guidance of the Project Coordinator.
- Implement, supervise and monitor timely implementation of the project activities in the areas of governance reforms, financing, accreditation, curriculum development, learning environment at HEIs, development of entrepreneurial universities, public private partnership, in line with the relevant policies and procedures adhered by the MECS and ADB;
- Develop action plans (monthly, quarterly and annual) in the areas of responsibilities pertinent to specific outputs of the project in consultation with the MECS’ relevant departments, divisions and working groups, and submit to the Project Coordinator for consolidation;
- Support the Project Coordinator in preparing and monitoring the Project Performance Management System (PPMS);
- Prepare the project monthly, quarterly and annual reports and submit to the Project Coordinator for consolidation;
- Coordinate and monitor the performances of the international and national consultants in the areas of responsibilities, and ensure timely submission of consultant’s reports to the Project Steering Committee (PSC) and ADB;
- Plan, coordinate, monitor and analyze, in collaboration with the Research and Training Specialist, the progress and outputs/outcomes of the capacity building activities in the areas of responsibilities;
- Manage all the procurement related activities in consultation with project stakeholders and in accordance with agreed procedures of ADB and the GOM;
- Prepare annual procurement plan in accordance with the project implementation plan, in a form and manner acceptable to ADB and the GOM;
- Draft necessary procurement documentation, including bidding documents for international competitive bidding, local competitive bidding, and international shopping, prequalification documents, and contract documents;
- Prepare the budget for procurement packages by component, including the procurement list, procurement mode, and distribution list;
- Prepare and manage pre-qualification, short-listing, tender enquiry and bid evaluations of contractors for works and suppliers of goods including all necessary reporting thereon;
- Arrange supply of goods to ensure timely availability for users and establish reception procedures and secure compound storage of all items;
- Control the quality of procured items by collecting data related to output indicators in relation to procurement;
- Keep records and copies of procurement documents, contracts, proposals and other documents as required by the Government and ADB;
- Guide, assist, coordinate, and monitor project activities to be carried out at the beneficiary higher education institutions and submit monthly report on the progress and outputs to the PSC and ADB;
- Facilitate establishment of partnerships and the promotion of collaboration among local HEIs, between local & international HEIs and between HEIs and industries;
- Make necessary arrangements and provide support for the project review missions by MECS and ADB;
- Ensure the project activities are closely coordinated with the projects in higher education implemented/financed by other institutions; and
- Provide interpretation and translation services, as needed.
- Required Qualifications, Skills and Expertise
- Advanced University Degree (Master or PhD) in a relevant educational or management field is desirable.
- Experience in managing projects of Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the World Bank is advantage.
- Must have at least 5 years of relevant experience working on higher education management, education policy, and administration.
- In-depth knowledge of the Mongolian education system and a solid understanding of relevant government policies in education.
- Excellent interpersonal and team work skills.
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in Mongolian and English required.
- Application Submission Procedure
Interested candidates should submit the application which consists of the following documents prepared in English language:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter (maximum three pages). The letter needs to clearly describe the interest in and qualifications for the position
- Reference or recommendation letters(no more than three) from current and/or previous employers
- Copies of all Diplomas and Certificates
All documents should be sealed in an envelope which indicates the applied position. The submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants.
The application must be hand delivered no later than 3 pm 9 September 2015 to the room No.507 of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science located at Government Building 3, Baga toiruu 44, Sukhbaatar District of Ulaanbaatar city, Mongolia and electronically to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Selection Process
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted and asked to (i) have a job interview with the MECS’ selection committee; and (iii) provide proof of work experience and original copies diplomas and certificates at the interview.
Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, Government Building 3,
Baga toiruu 44, Sukhbaatar District, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Tel: 263653, Tel/Fax: 70007263
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org